Sunday 8 August 2010

Have you missed me?

I know I'd said I'd be back on Monday, and I am in fact one day short of a week late. This is because when I arrived back home from Kendal, my sister hadn't paid the internet bill. So I've been internetless for a week now, its a good job it gets reconnected on Tuesday. Right now I'm at my step dads house on an old laptop I found in my bedroom. Its nearly broken, but its good enough for me to type this blog post. Which is long over due.


I'll write up my experiences of my weekend in Kendal, shall I? I can't remember if I mentioned or not, but I wasn't attending the festival as a festival-goer, but in fact as a retailer. I work as a vintage clothes retailer, I tend to work more behind the scenes of the online store, making sure the ebay shop is running ok, the template is fine, all the photographs have been taken and photoshopped before they're uploaded.

But this time I had to actually go to the festival and run the stall, and it was hard work. If its not already obvious I'm an introverted person, I keep myself to myself and most of the time I am out spoken. But I couldn't let myself do that here, if I kept quiet and shy I probably wouldn't have sold anything and better still, not made any new friends.

Luckily for me there was another retailer in the marquee I was in, called Kerry, and she really took me under her wing. She must have known I was quite nervous, and shy, and she made a point to talk to me whenever she got chance, offer me advice, and basically mother me the entire weekend and look after me. This wasn't a bad thing at all, it was nice. I was there with my friend, but we were both clueless and for the most part he was out in the actual festival and not in the marquee tent with me.

It was a good learning experience for me, I had to talk to people, tell them prices and generally be a talkative, charismatic person. I think I succeeded. I did get one phone number! Although, it was for my friend as he'd gone to the tent to skin up a joint and a girl had come back to talk to him...

One thing that was really nice, is that one of the technicians at the college I go to, went to the festival, however he's best friends with my boss (my cousin) and I've known him for years. He nipped into the marquee a few times to say hello and just to see how I was getting on. I also smoked him up on the last night of the festival, I had just shy of an eighth left, so me and my friend went to his tent and smoked it in two joints. Let me tell you, I reached a new level of high I didn't think was possible. I reached a new plateau. It was nice.


Other than that most of the festival wasn't too bad, I managed to catch a couple of bands, met some interesting people who were working on other stalls. It helped my confidence a lot, I'm just hoping that the skills I had learned over that weekend I can apply to real life and hopefully break out of the shell of self pity and destruction that I've got myself in to. I'm stuck in this rut, and I feel that, that weekend will help me get out of it.


Here are some of the pictures that were taken over the weekend:


The above picture is when I set our tent up. It wasn't very big, but we dubbed it a "Fortress of comfort" and for the most part it was. However, my hair has given me an uncanny resemblance to Mike Score from a Flock of Seagulls


This picture is of me outside of our 10ft part of the marquee tent. Looking a bit awkward...



I'll end this post here, I hope you all haven't missed me too much, and I hope you're all ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment