Thursday 22 July 2010

Where everybody knows your name

As far as my days go, today has been really good.

Me and my friend went to this shady little internet cafe in town today, we've been going for the past couples of weeks now - together, at least. We've both been going in at different times for years. So we're pretty well known.
I really enjoy going there, we've made it a weekly thing now. Usually a Thursday or a Friday, we go sometime during the early afternoon after we've just woken up for our breakfast. (We are students, after all. Staying in bed until the later afternoon is the norm for us!)

I enjoy going there mainly because we're pretty good friends with the owner and other punters. Its strange how many people regularly go in to use the computers, or like me and my friend, just to have a crack with the other, Mick, and other regulars. Its got such a laid back atmosphere that after I've finished my pot of coffee I can lean back on my chair and pass Mick my mug with a "Brew us another, please Mick". He'll roll his eyes comically and make some crack about lazy students. Its gotten to a point where he doesn't ask how we like our coffee or our sandwiches, he just knows.

He's a memorable fellow, knows everyone and I suspect, everything. He speaks fluent German, French, and Spanish, and was in the french foreign legion. Believes alcohol rub is the cure for everything (After being a medic for a brief spell in the legion, he says he treated everything with alcohol rub and plasters). Better still, he can make an egg and bacon sandwich the size of your head.

So we went to the internet cafe and had a crack with Mick for an hour, then came home. Relaxed with a brew and a cig and we listened to some Neutral Milk Hotel. He's gone back to his nanas now, so I'm back on my own.

But I don't mind, I've got Saturday to look forward to. Elliot and Josh are coming round to my house for a while. Smoke a little and watch some films etc. It'll be a nice afternoon, nothing going on so we're not spoiling anything. It's going to be fun, I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment